Venue & Hospitality
PGH Quality Policy As the national university hospital and premier referral center, the Philippine General Hospital (PGH), University of the Philippines Manila is committed to quality service, training and research. PGH shall implement and continually improve the Quality Management System (QMS) to conform with requirements of patients, regulatory agencies, other stakeholders and the performance goals set by management. PGH shall develop and enhance competent and compassionate human resources and ensure a safe work environment. PGH MANDATE In 1907, the Philippine Commission passed Act No. 1688 which appropriated the sum of P780,000.00 for the construction of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH). PGH opened its door to the public on September 1, 1910 during the administration of Hon. Dean C. Worcester as Secretary of the Interior and Dr. Victor G. Heiser as Director of Health. PGH was declared to be a Division of the Bureau of Health by the passage of Act No. 1989, which took effect on July 1, 1910. The PGH actually started functioning on September 2, 1910. PGH was established primarily to provide medical/surgical services to non-infective conditions especially among indigent Filipinos. However, it was not until September 10, 1910 that the PGH was formally inaugurated. By virtue of the Department of Public Instruction Order No. 1, series of 1937, the PGH was supervised and controlled by the Department of Public Instruction thru the Commissioner of Health and Welfare. In 1947, by virtue of Executive Order No. 94, Philippine President Manuel Roxas transferred PGH to the University of the Philippines; this officially designated PGH as UP’s teaching hospital. Under Executive Order 391, effective January 1, 1951 the PGH was reorganized but continued under the supervision and control of the University of the Philippines. PGH Functions On Service - PGH ensures that all patients understand their conditions and are able to participate in their own treatments. PGH has 19 clinical departments which, with their attached units, offer excellent facilities for the delivery of comprehensive care for both healthy and sick Filipinos, especially the poor and marginalized, seeking specialty and subspecialty care. On Training - PGH is the heart of the University's Health Sciences Campus. It is in PGH that postgraduate and undergraduate students undergo rigorous clinical rotations in various departments under the tutelage of leaders in the fields of medicine, nursing and allied health professions. Didactics, ward rounds and preceptorships, emergency room duties, outpatient clinics, operating theater rotations and departmental and interdepartmental conferences are included in the clinical rotations. Other key features of their education such as leadership, community and social organization and resource mobilization ensure a holistic training geared towards molding the future leaders of Philippine medical and allied medical professionals. On Research - PGH continues to focus on research initiatives that impact on national health policies. With the dawning of evidence-based medicine and the emergence of new health and medical problems, PGH puts further focus on researches designed towards improving the quality of life of every Filipino. PGH Background Information In 1907, the Philippine Commission passed Act No. 1688 for the construction of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH). PGH opened its doors to the public on September 1, 1910 under the administration of Hon. Dean C. Worcester as Secretary of the Interior and Dr. Victor G. Heiser as Director of Health. However, it was not until September 10, 1910 that PGH was formally inaugurated. PGH was eventually linked to the UP College of Medicine (UPCM), then the Philippine Medical School. In 1914, PGH became a Division of the Bureau of Health, with the Dean of UPCM Dr. William Musgrave serving as its Division Chief. From 1916 to 1936, PGH was placed under the first Filipino administration of Dr. Felipe Calderon, also UPCM Dean. In 1937, by virtue of the Department of Public Instruction Order No. 1, PGH was supervised and controlled by the Department of Public Instruction thru the Commissioner of Health and Welfare. In 1939, President Manuel Quezon transferred PGH from the Department of Public Instruction to the Office of the President of the Philippines. President Quezon entrusted the general administration as well as the technical supervision and control of the hospital to the UPCM Dean and concurrent PGH Director, Dr. Antonio Sison. In 1947, by virtue of Executive Order No. 94, President Manuel Roxas transferred PGH to the University of the Philippines; this officially designated PGH as UP’s teaching hospital. Under Executive Order 391, effective January 1, 1951, PGH was reorganized but continued under the supervision and control of the University of the Philippines. In 1954, President Ramon Magsaysay separated PGH from the UPCM administratively. The following years witnessed the establishment of different units and clinics attesting to the physical and organizational growth of the hospital that enabled it to provide a wide range of health care services to patients and training for health students and health workers. In 1989 and 1990, the new Outpatient Department and the 8-storey Central Block Building opened, respectively. In 1992, the PGH Outpatient Department was given the Salamin ng Bayan award. It was adjudged as one of the outstanding government offices based on compliance with specific provisions of RA 6713 also known as the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees. In 1993, PGH was recognized as the Outstanding Government Institution in Health by the Philippine Chamber of Health and was given the Baby Friendly Hospital Award by the World Health Organization. In 2007, PGH was cited as a Gold Trusted brand by the Reader’s Digest Asia and was conferred the prestigious Presidential Lingkod Bayan Award by the Civil Service Commission. In 2009, PGH was audited by the Anglo-Japanese-American (AJA) Registrars, Inc. and was subsequently granted the much coveted ISO 9001:2008 certificate for having complied with internationally-accepted quality management system standards. In 2012, PGH was given the Pro-active Programs Achievement Award in the two categories - Quality and Productivity Category and Family Welfare and Community Relations Programs Category by the Department of Trade and Industry – Center for Industrial Competitiveness in its annual Search for Model Companies. This award was given to companies that contribute to the national effort in the promotion of industrial peace and harmony, improved productivity, and competitiveness. Today, PGH is considered the biggest modern government tertiary hospital in the Philippines, servicing more than 600,000 patients annually. It remains as the only national referral center for tertiary care, providing direct and quality patient services to thousands of indigent Filipinos all over the country.
Conference Dates: October 14-15, 2020
Hotel Services & Amenities
- Audio/Visual Equipment Rental.
- Business Center.
- Business Phone Service.
- Complimentary Printing Service.
- Express Mail.
- Meeting Rooms.
- Office Rental.
- Photo Copying Service.
- Secretarial Service.
- Video Conference.
- Video Messaging.
- Video Phone.
- Baggage Storage.
Driving Directions to
Manila, the capital of the Philippines, is a densely populated bayside city on the island of Luzon, which mixes Spanish colonial architecture with modern skyscrapers. Intramuros, a walled city in colonial times, is the heart of Old Manila. Manila occupies the low, narrow deltaic plain of the Pasig River, which flows northwestward to Manila Bay. The swampy delta of the southward-flowing Pampanga River lies to the north of the city. Immediately to the northeast and east of the urban region lies a stretch of lowlands, beyond which rise the peaks of the southern range of the Sierra Madre.
Laguna de Bay, the large lake from which the Pasig River flows, flanks Metropolitan Manila to the southeast. Enclosing Manila Bay to the west is the mountainous Bataan Peninsula. The city is bisected by the Pasig River. It is divided into six administrative divisions that comprise 17 districts. Most of the districts developed from the original fortress city of Intramuros and the 13 villages located outside its walls. About two-thirds of the districts lie to the north of the river and the remaining third lies to the south. The two sections of the city are connected by several bridges. Architectural styles reflect American, Spanish, Chinese, and Malay influences. Rizal Park and a number of government buildings were designed by U.S. architect and city planner Daniel H. Burnham.
Modern buildings—including multistoried commercial houses and public and private buildings—are commonly made of reinforced concrete and hollow cement blocks. Within the area of Metropolitan Manila, public transportation is provided principally by buses, jeepneys (small buses built on the chassis of jeeps), and taxis. Traffic congestion is serious, especially at the bridges during the morning and evening rush hours. Adjacent towns serve as dormitory suburbs, and many people commute to the city, adding to the traffic problem. Bus services operate routes to northern and southern Luzon. Manila is an assault on the senses. It’s hectic and hyperactive, vibrant and vivacious but one adjective is used more than any other to describe the capital of the Philippines. Travel writers and bloggers talk of the wonderful chaos and delightful chaos, the chaotic charm, and organized chaos. Tourists are even encouraged to embrace the beautiful chaos. Who knew chaos could be so much fun.